Total Pageviews

Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 11 - On the Move

In the summer of 2002, after a short 3 week senior trip throughout China, I moved in with my big sister and our very dear friend, Bobby.  That is....I moved to Pittsburgh.  Not quite NYC but I was excited to start life and plow my way into Pittsburgh's fashion scene.  The only problem was that no fashion scene existed in Pittsburgh.  So now what?  Not to get too terribly disheartened, I tried to make the best of it and secured a job at Saks.  My day started at 6am and finished between 1-2pm.  In the afternoon, I worked for a little couture designer in Shadyside sewing one-of-a-kind garments for Pittsburgh's elite.  All said & done, Annie in Pittsburgh lasted about 6 whole months.  And that was that.

Lucky for me, I have a very large family circle.  How did I end up in NYC?  Small town connection...my cousin's husband's sister dated (and still dates to my knowledge) Jim Lepore.  Who is Jim Lepore?  The father of fashion designer Nanette Lepore, originally from Youngstown, OH.  Who knew? 

On a blistery winter day during Christmas break, I got a phone call.  Yes that's right!  My cousin had Jim on the phone who then put me on the phone with Nanette, who happened to be in Youngstown for Christmas.  What do I say?  I can't screw this up....I NEED TO GET TO NEW YORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment