Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 12 - NYC...Here I come!

"How soon can you get to New York for an interview?"  That's what she wanted to know.  As I sat in the quiet of my parents' bedroom to escape the noise of my very large family, who were visiting for the holidays and loudly laughing & telling stories in our living room, I think I said to Nanette..."I can be there next week if that works for you."  I called in sick the following Thursday, my friend/co-worker Danielle covering for me.  All set.  My mother and I jumped in the car and headed eastward on Route 80. 

My mom waited for me at the Starbuck's at 35th and 7th Ave, anxiously waiting to hear how it went.  Keeping my giddiness under control as much as possible, I scurried over to meet my mom to tell her the good news.  I got the job! 

Within 2 weeks, I packed up my stuff, figured out a place to live and headed east, this time for good.  This time, to embark on my career in fashion.  I was hardly 22 years old but confident yet without a clue what exactly it meant to be a Production Assistant.  I knew (rather, hoped) I would figure it out if I could just keep my head on straight, focus on the job and push myself.  I was ready for life and my foot was in the door. 

Along with the help of my parents, and grandparents in tow, I got situated into a dorm type of living situation.  It was awful but I was only 2 blocks from work and my meals were included.  One of hundreds of other young women, this place offered semi-affordable living for those starting their lives in New York.  It served its purpose and was what I could afford....just barely at $800/month for roughly 60 sq feet of living space.  Four months later, Michael relocated from Chicago to join me in New York.  Something was guiding us in the right direction.  Life couldn't be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment