Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 3 - Training

After the most amazing semester of my college career, I couldn't possibly settle with spending the summer in New Castle.  Not to sound harsh, but...  I needed to keep the fire burning, make something exciting happen for the summer of 2000. 

Keep in mind that cell phones were just hardly being introduced as a new luxury, the world was still on dial-up, and in order to gain access to the Internet, I had to visit the local Internet Cafe dans le Centre de Grenoble and pay for minutes to access the World Wide Web.  It was our daily, after school thing.  Class from 8am to 12pm Monday-Friday, Internet Cafe from 12:30 to 1:00-ish, then a stroll around town with our butter and cheese baguettes or, if we had a little extra cash, we'd splurge on one with jambon (ham).

I don't quite recall how I managed to find a summer apprenticeship, gain recommendations from my professors, submit the application, receive the acceptance letter, schedule the relocation, deal with housing, etc., etc. all from France, 5400 miles away with minimal access to phones and barely-there Internet service.

Nonetheless, 5 days after returning from my semester abroad, I left yet again for another new adventure.  This time heading to Santa Fe, New Mexico to work as an apprentice in the costume shop at the world-renowned Santa Fe Opera House.  And THAT is where I met Jerry L. Johnson.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, maybe you should contact A.Trigiani and consider a novel....can't wait to read day 4

    ReplyDelete