Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 10 - Training

The last three semesters at Allegheny were rough to say the least.  Because I chose to chop up my college experience quite a bit, I had lost credits.  In order to graduate on time, I overloaded my classes taking up to 24 credits for the remainder of my college career. 

Spring of my Junior year I practically had a breakdown, not unlike many college grads who burnout during that same semester.  It was then I realized my future was wide open and that it could be whatever I wanted it to be...I just had to choose something. 

I was a good student in math & science, straight A's but did I want to go that route?  I happened to have a talent for photography and art, but could I be successful if I further explored and chose that option?  I had an affinity for international study and spoke French.  Should I have gone on to earn my certification to become a French instructor, perhaps moving to France to teach English to French students?

Too many questions rolling around in my head.  Was I focusing on the right course of study?  Did I really make the most of college both socially and with regard to my education?  The world was at my fingertips.  How could I possibly choose the path of my future? 

At the time, I felt like college just confused me more and clouded my plans to become a fashion designer, my only true gut desire.  But was it just a childhood dream?  I mean, was that a serious option for me?  I knew I didn't have the proper training from a fashion focused school.  Could I compete with students from FIT, Parsons, Central St. Martins and RISD?  Was my training in costuming and construction enough?  Would I even be good at it?

Lots of coaching from my mom & dad, tears, stress, and sleepless nights later, I made a decision to stick to the plan, focus on fashion, continue to sharpen my sewing skills and get myself to New York City, whatever it took.

1 comment:

  1. Good one, Annie...It's really fun to read...It would be great for confused and scared college students. Probably many could relate to the fears, uncertainties, and anxieties that go along with major life choices....Keep it up...each one makes me excited for the next one..and I lived through it!!!!!It's like I'm hearing it all for the first time....Love you, Your Greatest Fan....Whoops, I guess it a tie between Mom and the Hubby!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete